StarCraft 2’s First Major Patch: Highlights and Analysis

StarCraft 2 has just received its first major patch. While several mini-fixes had been released over the course of the last two months, Blizzard has saved all the balance changes for this one. Staying surprisingly true to the Situation Report, the patch contained virtually no deviations from the plans revealed back in August – a clear indication of the amount of testing that went into the patch.

You can find the full original patch documentation (which includes many minor tweaks) here. In this post, we’ll go over the more meaningful parts of this update.

General Changes

•    A new game clock has been added. Players can now instantly see how long they’ve been in their current mission or match. This feature can be turned on or off in the Gameplay Options menu.

Notice the Game Timer on the very left - next to the Map

This small addition has a great potential. Many players learning and perfecting certain builds already use timers to know exactly when they should push out or what to expect from the enemy at any moment given intelligence gathered before. Integrating a timer into the game allows everyone to incorporate this extra piece of information into their game instead of relying on intuition.

The following balance changes are identical to those mentioned in the situation report released last month. Our analysis of the changes can be found here.

Protoss Balance Changes

Zealot • Build time increased from 33 to 38. • Warp Gate cooldown increased from 23 to 28.

As Blizzard mention in their report:

Zealot rushes are currently too powerful at various skill levels, particularly those that rely on rapidly assaulting an enemy base from nearby “proxy” gateways. We feel the window players have to scout for and fend off this rush is too small. We also want to address the problem of protoss being able to dump minerals a bit too quickly with the combination of warpgates and Chrono Boost.

Terran Balance Changes

Battlecruiser Ground damage decreased from 10 to 8. • Bunker Build time increased from 30 to 35. • Reaper Build time increased from 40 to 45.

….we have decided to increase the build time of reapers as well from 40 to 45 seconds. Fast reaper + bunker, or fast marine + bunker rushes are problematic against zerg.

Siege Tank • Siege mode damage changed from 50 to 35 (+15 armored). • Upgrade damage changed from +5 to +3 (+2 armored).

Zerg Balance Changes

Ultralisk •Ram ability removed. Ultralisk will now use normal attack against buildings. • Damage decreased from 15 (+25 armored) to 15 (+20 armored).

The adjustment to Ultralisk’s attack is a bigger boost than it may seem at first glance. Check out the following video to fully appreciate the implications of applying an AoE effect to a building attack.

This newly introduced “mechanic”  has already been acknowledged as a bug, however, and will be fixed soon.

Bug Fixes

Battle.net

• Chat windows no longer vanish when exiting a multiplayer map or campaign mission. • Fixed an issue where players would still receive toasts when their status was set to busy.

Custom Games

• Default race in a game lobby is now properly set to Random. • Lobby hosts will now receive a toast when an invited player declines an invitation.

Gameplay

• If a unit loads into a transport, missiles targeting it will no longer target similar units in the area.

• Fixed an issue where builders waiting for an area to clear could block units trying to leave the area.

Interface

• Queue tooltips now display information about what is in progress.

Marines trained at multiple Barracks will now prefer a Barracks with a Reactor over one with a Tech Lab or no attachment.

• SCVs will now load into the closest Command Center if multiple are within range.

Check out the rest of the changes, dealing with the editor and detailing many small fixes, here. Along the detailed changes, we’ve noticed some other modifications to the game, in the form of many updates to existing icons for abilities and upgrades:

New Icon Examples - Recognize the Units?

17 Comments to “StarCraft 2’s First Major Patch: Highlights and Analysis”

1. noob — September 23, 2010 @ 11:24 am

Hi guys,
    I have installed this new patch (1.1) and now when I want to play my last saved game (single-player-campgain) it says:
    “This saved game can only be loaded by a previous version of sc2
    Do you wish to logout of battle.net and launch the previous version on sc2? ”

When I’m doing it ,and my PC becoming very slow,closing windows and opening new ones,the game itself get stack from time to time and is now very slowly.
    What the issue with this version thing?
    I want to play my saved games ! why should I login and out??!

2. Iain — September 24, 2010 @ 3:32 pm

I won’t say I’m happy they’re nerfing the Zealot rush, but Yay!

3. mik — September 25, 2010 @ 6:01 am

这是一个伟大的文章中,我发现有很多伟大的http://battlevet.com资源。

4. SC2 Guides & Strategy — September 27, 2010 @ 5:51 am

I liked the patch, but I think a lot more work has to be done. One annoying area of concern is the hosting options or lack there of in custom games!

5. Heart of The Swarm — September 27, 2010 @ 5:58 am

Oh my goodness, the Ultralisk bug is creepy. It’s like some mage AOE from WoW.
    There will be some fun replays with this in youtube soon enough, hehe.

6. Starcraft II Videos — September 29, 2010 @ 12:40 am

Good patch, i’m gonna try this. I hope they can release the next patch too, i’m waiting for them..

7. SrslyStfu — September 29, 2010 @ 10:23 am

Very interesting patch. It is surely increase the joy of playing Starcraft. I think this is one of the best patch that have ever been issued 😀

8. StopSpammingAsshole — September 30, 2010 @ 7:43 am

starcraft todays best game ever in the world. This is one of my favourite game. workful patch. must encourage us to play this game.

9. Stop — October 2, 2010 @ 10:30 am

I also face lagging after the patch. Same issue as well when I play my last saved campaign.

“This saved game can only be loaded by a previous version of sc2
    Do you wish to logout of battle.net and launch the previous version on sc2? ”

Click “YES” & then everytime I play SC2, can feel the lagging.
    Anyone here have the same experience?

10. Anonymous — October 2, 2010 @ 10:31 am

“This saved game can only be loaded by a previous version of SC2. Do you wish to logout of battle.net and launch the previous version on SC2?”

If you get this error message after updating SC2 the solution is to load a save game from “storymode” (i.e. the Hyperion).

11. Starcraft II Videos — October 5, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

Good patch, i will try this now

12. Hellono — October 7, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

Starcraft 2 has just a few bugs, but a patch to be added is a very good news ! This patch seems to adjust a few missed thigs when the original 1.0 version came out (game clock added, unit-construction time increased or decreased, etc). It will for sure enrich the gaming perspective and add some fun !

13. sree — October 8, 2010 @ 3:17 am

Hai,
    Nowa days I am frequently playing starcraft games, I was never like this before. Very intresting.

14. SpamBot — October 8, 2010 @ 6:52 am

i liked starcraft2 patch 1.1.1 but more things to be done.
    of course starcraft2 games nearing popular day by day.

15. Starcraft II Videos — October 8, 2010 @ 11:39 am

good work.great patch…definately i am going to try it…. starcraft is one of the best games…..if somebody ask me to give an award to starcraft then i will give a platinum award….

16. must have gadgets — January 17, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

My opinion : stick to the important points . Have a nice day.

17. coupons for toms — June 22, 2013 @ 10:37 am

My grand father all the time used to watch YouTube humorous movies, hehehehehe, because he wants to be delighted forever StarCraft 2′s First Major Patch: Highlights and Analysis | SC2 Blog.