Updates: Beta Scheduled for 2010, Sensor Tower Clarified

In this update, we willl cover the StarCraft 2 news bits and updates from the last 2 weeks, during which a few small pieces of information popped up around the world.  The most important announcement comes to us from Russia’s massive gaming convention, IgroMir (GameWorld in English).

For this event, Blizzard has effectively produced a Blizzcon parallel in Russia. StarCraft 2 was playable for two whole days and fans got a chance to talk with Blizzard’s representatives, who were also present. No new information was revealed, but Chris Sigaty, StarCraft 2’s Lead Producer, has unequivocally confirmed that the StarCraft 2 beta will be released in 2010, and not during November of this year as previously promised.

IgroMir Screen

To the same effect, Blizzard’s President, Mike Morhaim, gave a talk to BlizzaVision’s investors, stating that the game is set to be released towards the end of the second quarter of 2010. This is in line with the statements regarding the length of the beta – 4-6 months – and lends more credit to Sigaty’s statement. Of course, this doesn’t mean that the dates won’t be pushed back yet again, even though Morhaime said that the bulk of the work on the game has been completed, with the project still progressing according to the established timeline.

Last Saturday’s Blizzcast dealt with a few open issues from August’s event, and, most importantly (or relevantly) for the StarCraft 2 audience, produced two new screenshots:

BlizzCast 11 StarCraft 2 Kerrigan Screenshot
BlizzCast 11 StarCraft 2 Screenshot

Blizzard has reinstalled the Vespene Laughs competition, allowing artists to submit StarCraft-themed comics and win some much coveted beta keys. The competition was likely scheduled to end close to the original planned date of the beta, but is now being extended in conjunction with the recent delays.

Comic!

Lastly, Cydra has been kind enough to answer a series of Sensor Tower related questions on the official StarCraft 2 General Discussion Forum.

1. Is the proper name Radar Tower or Sensor Tower?

Sensor Tower

2. What model is being used: Radar Tower, Sensor Tower, or a completely new one?

Sensor Tower has a passive Radar ability which expose enemy movements within its radar capacity.

3. What are the stats? (mineral cost, gas cost, build time, HP, armor)

It costs 125 mineral and 100 geyser gas and it takes 25 build time. Sensor Tower has 200 hp and 0 default armor. You can upgrade the armor of buildings by 2 at Engineering Bay.

5. Do cloaked and burrowed units appear as blips within the radar’s range?

No. Cloaked and burrowed units don’t appear.

7. Does the Tower have any other special abilities besides its radar function?

8. Is the Tower salvageable?

Yes. you can salvage it for 100% fund.

9 Comments to “Updates: Beta Scheduled for 2010, Sensor Tower Clarified”

1. BarGamer — November 8, 2009 @ 12:41 pm

Nerd RAGE!

2. SikTh — November 8, 2009 @ 1:34 pm

NERD RAGE!!!

3. 4poolfastexpand — November 9, 2009 @ 6:30 am

NERD RAGE!

4. Jacklifear — November 9, 2009 @ 12:10 pm

Wanted to pass along something else for your blog. Looks like a russian player, imba.Adolf[RA], took time at IgroMir to play the game extensively and write large articles for it.

SCLegacy.com had someone translate each one of them and posted them as articles in their coverage of the event. The articles are a great read with a LOT of great insight. The guy played in a few tournaments there as well. Took me over an hour to let all the information settle in.

5. Raz — November 11, 2009 @ 7:31 am

If it can’t detect cloaked unit, then why use it at all? Sure it has some range but I don’t think this building is a necessity for terran race. Terrans already have scans which can reveal (doesn’t just show exclamation points)

6. BatNerd — November 12, 2009 @ 11:51 am

The big question is, will it allow my units to engage the blips beyond visual range? =)

7. Motherpuncher — November 13, 2009 @ 3:18 pm

I actually work right across the street from Blizzard’s Irvine California’s HQ. I’ve always wondered what the answer would be if I walked in there and just asked, straight-up, if I could play the game for a few minutes. I’m pretty sure I know what the answer would be. This is where this leaves me:

“MP’s Diary,
    11/12/2009

I can only pray that I will safely fall into a deep coma and only awaken after the game has been released. It is truly painful to be a fan of a Blizzard product for I am the dependent, emotionally-starved spouse and Blizzard my drunk, abusive husband who continuously promises a new, better life. All I have are tattered remnants of our promised loved being dangled in front of me and old, old memories of the best of times with each other.

Blizzard are sadists.

Deviant, digital sadists who know I will always crave for more from regardless of how far they push our new life.”

I imagine the sensory tower must have some pretty huge range to make it worth anything seeing that it can’t detect cloaked units. I need to see it in action to determine its worth.

8. Spiral Architect — November 14, 2009 @ 10:55 am

Best comment ever.

9. tv advertising prices — August 14, 2014 @ 5:02 pm

Write more, thats all I have tto say. Literally, it seems
    as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You clearly know what yohre ttalking about, whyy throw away your
    intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could
    be giving uss something informative to read?

my weblog :: tv advertising prices