The Beta Key is Not for StarCraft 2

Blizzard’s World Wide Invitational 2008 swag bag included a very promising item – a beta key for an unknown Blizzard game. Blizzard’s fans split into two camps at this point – the hopeless, lifelesss WoW addicts which claimed the beta key to be for World of WarCraft’s Wrath of the Lich King expansion, and the awesome, intelligent and handsome StarCraft fans who have decreed that the key is a clear sign that the StarCraft 2 beta is near.

Wrath of the Lich King

Today, Blizzard has officially announced that he beta key is for Wrath of the Lich King and not StarCraft 2.

We have some information to share regarding the beta codes received by those who attended the 2008 Worldwide Invitational or the 2007 BlizzCon. These codes are going to be used for the Wrath of the Lich King beta test.

If you do have a beta code from one of these events, we urge you to register it immediately and without delay. Full details on how to register your code can be found at the following page:

Despite the fact that StarCraft 2 is not as close as some might have imagined due to the recently received key, hopefully fans will not have to wait for WWI 09 to get their hands on the beta.

20 Comments to “The Beta Key is Not for StarCraft 2”

1. Anderson Mccutcheon — July 22, 2008 @ 2:40 pm

Thanks go to THE_BANANA_REPUBLIC for the heads up.

Cheers

Anderson Mccutcheon
    SC2Blog

2. Lipton — July 22, 2008 @ 3:37 pm

“the hopeless, lifelesss WoW addicts”

“the awesome, intelligent and handsome StarCraft fans”

LOL Quotes FTW!

3. André Castelo — July 22, 2008 @ 5:22 pm

Hopefully, blizzcon?

4. kyle — July 22, 2008 @ 5:54 pm

Yeah blizzcon ftw! i hope sc2 is out before wwi09…

5. THE_BANANA_REPUBLIC — July 22, 2008 @ 6:14 pm

I’m hoping that this year’s blizzcon beta key will go to sc2.

Is it unreasonable to expect diablo 3 to be released before sc2?

6. Vice_Versa_Man — July 22, 2008 @ 7:37 pm

“Is it unreasonable to expect diablo 3 to be released before sc2?”

On the one hand, since D3 was announced a full year after SC2, I would say yes, it is unreasonable.

On the other hand, since D3 isn’t an e-sport, and doesn’t have an entire Asian country depending on its balance to be perfect, maybe it isn’t unreasonable.

And on the proverbial third hand, Diablo is the one property of Blizzard’s “Holy Trinity” that I’ve never played, so maybe I’m totally off base on my second assumption.

So, I guess to summarize, I could really see it going either way. But I do know that because of the now-legendary balance of the three races in Starcraft, Blizzard will not rest until they are convinced that SC2 measures up. And that, I think, is not a bad thing. That’s the promise delivered by the Blizzard logo every time you start one of their games.

7. Kent — July 23, 2008 @ 1:32 am

this is a good sign.

I don’t think SC2 is good enough for Beta yet.

I will say every race will need at least 2,3 more new units, and existing things still need some fleshing out.

8. sese — July 23, 2008 @ 2:55 am

now i dont regret that i wasn’t in Paris. but still it is hard to wait so long.

9. Advance — July 23, 2008 @ 3:40 pm

Wasn’t it somewhat confirmed at WWI that it wouldn’t be the SC2 beta?

I distinctly remember a comment from Rob Pardo that SC2 had approximately 5-6 more months to go before beta.

I believe the context of that was regarding the stage of development they were in and why units were still being constantly changed.

That would indicate that we won’t be seeing SC2 beta until holidays or 2009.

10. SikTh — July 23, 2008 @ 4:36 pm

shut up x16

_Moderated.

Anderson
    SC2Blog

11. Dill — July 23, 2008 @ 8:22 pm

I wonder what diablo fans are like. :) (I imagine pasty, twitchy/jumpy, easily startled, and otherwise vampire like.)

12. Dill — July 23, 2008 @ 8:22 pm

‘Vampire-like” includes afraid of sunlight. :)

13. Eros — July 24, 2008 @ 7:25 am

Well…

14. redrach — July 24, 2008 @ 10:32 am

@Dill
    If I am any indication, the average Diablo fan has better reflexes and poorer micro than the average Starcraft fan.

15. redrach — July 24, 2008 @ 10:32 am

Oops, I mean poorer macro.

16. Rezz — July 25, 2008 @ 4:14 am

I’m both starcraft 2 and wow fan so what am I?:(

17. redrach — July 25, 2008 @ 3:41 pm

@Rezz
    Someone with too much time on his hands? :P

18. Aaron — September 4, 2008 @ 10:01 am

The beta for SC2 has yet to be started, and there is no release date for the game, hopefully they will be getting the beta opened up here soon however.

19. Chaz — January 13, 2009 @ 6:46 pm

But I like Starcraft AND WoW! What am I?

20. blizzard lover — January 19, 2009 @ 12:12 pm

you are a blizzard fan like me