StarCraft 2 Monthly Fee – The Poll that Mattered

TerranoZergus Some questions Blizzard cannot ask, but certainly wants answered. It’s obvious that it cannot simply approach gamers and ask “hey, would YOU pay a monthly fee for StarCraft 2?

We assure you – it’s not that Blizzard doesn’t care, or that Vivendi doesn’t want to know. WoW is the most commercially successful product in the history of video gaming, and the monthly fee model will receive major consideration in all future Blizzard titles – be they MMORPG, RTS, or of any other genre.

Our poll, which has been up for close to two months, represents the opinion of Blizzard’s most important demographic – the sort of people who follow their announcements, play on beta servers and [religiously] cling to every bit of information released. The sort of people who play Blizzard games now, and will continue purchasing every game with a Blizzard logo as long as Blizzard sticks to the standards we all got used to.
Poll Results for SC2

With this poll, our readers have sent a clear and undeniable message to the people responsible for the monetization of StarCraft 2 – 72 percent simply won’t or can’t pay the monthly fee. An additional 14 percent won’t pay more than a special one time fee.

A total of 86 percent are firmly against the monthly fee.

This leaves roughly 14% of Blizzard’s most loyal demographic – and with 3% sitting on the fence, we are left with just 11% of all poll participants are willing to pay a monthly fee for StarCraft 2.

Hopefully, our efforts and your votes will help Blizzard make the right decision.

11 Comments to “StarCraft 2 Monthly Fee – The Poll that Mattered”

1. vrogy — December 25, 2007 @ 7:39 pm

Your graph title is misspelled, and there’s no private email I can use to tell you about it.

2. Anderson Mccutcheon — December 26, 2007 @ 1:09 am

Graph title adjusted

Cheers

3. THE_BANANA_REPUBLIC — December 26, 2007 @ 3:31 am

Excellent report.

It did surprise me a little at the sc2 announcement that blizzard would take up a rts after producing a very profitable MMO. But starcraft 2 and other non-mmo games have been secretly under development for many years. Although there have been games, such as Sam & Max, which have been canceled due to market factors despite excellent development.

Would the 11% yield a greater profit than the rest? I doubt it would, but it is a serious question to consider.

This poll has been open for the past two months. Will newly released information on the game, closer to the release date, alter these responses? If so, to what extent?

I am beginning to think that I gain the same level of entertainment from WoW, that I do from other finely-polished games. . . Yet I still continue to pay for WoW.

I think sc2blog has made their point clearly, and has it well-supported. It will be interesting to follow the market after the release of the game!

4. Adun — December 26, 2007 @ 3:50 am

I doubt those 86% won’t end up paying like everyone else if Blizz does decide to charge some kind of monthly fee. I also doubt they will charge anything in the end, especially since they know people won’t like it.

Eventually, we’ll get the same free Battle.net we’ve had for all games since Diablo…

5. Eros — December 26, 2007 @ 6:12 am

Well, basically i’m the kind of person who buys original games in two occasions:
    1st: The game really can’t be cracked or somehow become generic.
    2st: The multiplayer worth the while.

To buy myself my SC1 + BW i took in avantage the second occasion. No one can’t deny the fact that the multiplayer of SC1 is the game itself.

Now when it comes around the possibility of making a fee for SC2 I take in consideration another too aspects:

1st: If the original game is too expesive (SC1 costed my 10 dollars in brazilian cash, almost the double of any generic game)
    2st: If this fee is fair enough to represent the playability of a game in MP mode, e.g., good connection, good servers, no kicks, nice MP features, etc.

So basically i belive that if the SC2 game itself wont be too expensive to me, i’ll buy it original unless it makes impossible to buy it. And if the MP feature will eventually be paid, so let it worth my cash, because i wont release my money to play any kind of MP around, and even, eventually, if this fee is somehow impossible to be paid by me, or somehow i believe isn’t a fair fee i’ll stick in a generic SC2 game, because I won’t pay $50-$100 dollars in the same game I can pay $5, of course, this opinion over the generic game can change due the non-possibility of cracking it somehow.

My opinion, complain if you won’t, but beware, i might not care :D

6. Anonymous — March 5, 2009 @ 8:59 pm

If you pay for things, they it wont be free anymore, like the radio hence why the satelite radio stations are going bank rupt…. and if they do choos eot make sc2 a monthly fee, its only because they couldn’t fit anymore money $$ into their first one, so they bought a second wallet

7. Anonymous — March 5, 2009 @ 9:02 pm

!!!~STARCRAFT FREE FOREVER~!!!!

8. anonymous — April 2, 2011 @ 10:05 am

u should make it so that if u pay u get like a couple extra maps and a couple new campaign missions

9. inpubde70 — June 4, 2011 @ 2:45 am

hey,I just thought you might want to know that your website looks messed up when you watch it on my iphone. I’m not sure if it has something to do with my phone’s browser or your website? just saying :) Ad)?; diet pills that perform qSeE<

10. canada goose jacka göteborg — January 31, 2012 @ 1:27 pm

good publish, i certainly enjoy this amazing site, continue on it.

11. canada goose jacka — January 31, 2012 @ 1:50 pm

This website online is known as a walk-by way of for all the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and also you’ll undoubtedly discover it.